Are All Socks Equal?
You might think socks are insignificant and that a sock is a sock is a sock. Such thinking would be incorrect. Why? Lets take a closer look.
What types of socks are there? Dress, Athletic (with sport specific types), Work, Diabetic. The type of sock required will be determined by your need.
- Dress Socks typically are mid-calf in height, but can be ankle or thigh high. Traditionally they are thinner material and made of cashmere, cotton, wool, polyester or nylon blend. Because they are thinner they wear faster and thus need to be replaced more often.
- Athletic Socks important concepts to consider when searching for the best athletic type sock:
- Moisture management does the sock help wick away sweat
- Additional support does the inner design of the sock provide increased arch support
- Enhanced padding is there extra material in the areas of increased weight bearing
- Breathability does the inherent nature of the material being used allow air flow
- Work Socks are typically much thicker and well padded. Many are made of a wool type blend.
- Diabetic Socks are made from a blend of acrylic, cotton, nylon, and elastic fibers with the purpose of maximizing comfort and cushioning without sacrificing breathability. Often times the basic wool or cotton sock is too tight or constrictive, which for a diabetic with decreased sensation could spell disaster.
Basic info about Wool, Nylon, and Cotton:
- Good for any season
- Moisture repellant
- Typically wrinkle and shape resistant
- Strong material
- Quick drying
- Stretch/Shrink resistant
- Mildew resistant
- Very soft
- Highly absorbent
- Holds color well
So the next time you are in the store in the process of buying socks, please remember that a sock is more than an extra piece of clothing to put on your foot. Think about what your foot needs before donning a sock and always treat your feet with the utmost care.
If you have any foot or ankle related concerns, please contact Dr. Bowman at 713-467-8886 or visit www.houstonfootspecialists.com.
Tags: Athletic, Dress, Footwear, Socks, Workwear